Board Meeting, Minutes – April 11th, 2021

MINUTES

ACLU of Wisconsin Chippewa Valley Chapter

 Meeting of the Board of Directors

April 11, 2021

Virtual meeting via Zoom technology

Board members present: Lopa Basu, Selika Ducksworth-Lawton, Ann Francis, Mildred Larson, Kelle Moran, Elsa Murray, Teresa O’Halloran, David Shih, Pa Thao, Paul Wagner, John Wiltrout.

Board members absent: Kirby Harless

Visitors:  Ann Heywood, Dave Carlson

1.   The meeting was called to order at 5:02 p.m.

2.   The board approved the minutes from the March 14, 2021 meeting.  Approved with correction to item 8 and visitors present.

3.   John gave the Treasurer’s Report: no expenses, and no donations. Balances are savings: 5.01 and checking: 1,112.63.  John filed the required annual report with ACLU of WI, which included our 12 monthly bank statements and our check register.

4.   Selika gave the State Board Report. They want to put their emphasis this year on immigrant voting rights, civil liberties, state budget hearings. Considering expanding the state board.

5.    The board discussed the upcoming State Budget Hearings. Trainings are available on Wisconsin Eye, and Youtube links will be shared on our FaceBook, Instagram, and through our emails. WPEN information is very exhaustive. Lopa may attend hearing to observe, since it is at Stout where she is faculty. Stout faculty union is meeting about the budget the evening of April 12.

6.   The board discussed collaboration with a Chippewa Falls high school student organization.  The organization put on town hall at end of March and started to create a safe space to share their stories in FB. Board members should consider liking and sharing their page from their FB pages.  State ACLU and David Carlson are active on the Chippewa Falls Schools issues now, through CVEIWI.com (Chippewa Valley Equality Initiative). David Carlson mentioned that egregious racial incidents also have been reported in addition to the concerns for the lgbt community.

7.   Discussion of City of Eau Claire EDI coordinator position. Pa was referred to David Solberg who never called her back. Council member told Pa that they would try to get public feedback with the EDI Coordinator’s workplan. Mildred moves we write a letter for public input especially for those organizations who do EDI regionally, for three finalists, Selika seconds. Passes. David Shih will draft letter.

8.   Discussion of student membership (Kelle).  Daily announcements and newsletters at Memorial and North High Schools currently include our outreach for new student members.  Kelle will report back next month.

9.   Ad Hoc Committee / Standing Committees / Affiliations Update MEMBERSHIP ISSUES TABLED TO BE TAKEN UP FIRST NEXT MONTH

10.   Old business

11.   New business

  • Mildred will be nominating Pa for a Volume One award and will email the board about helping with the nomination.
  • We will meet May 2nd 5 pm.

12.   The meeting was adjourned at 6:35.