ACLU of Wisconsin Chippewa Valley Chapter
Meeting of the Board of Directors
March 14, 2021
Virtual meeting via Zoom technology
Board members present: Lopa Basu, Selika Ducksworth-Lawton, Ann Francis, Kirby Harless, Mildred Larson, Kelle Moran, Elsa Murray, Teresa O’Halloran, David Shih, Pa Thao, Paul Wagner, and John Wiltrout.
Board members absent: Lindsey Brandrup, LJ Wells
Visitors: Ann Heywood
1. The meeting was called to order at 5:03 p.m.
2. The board approved the minutes from the February 14, 2021 meeting.
3. John gave the Treasurer’s Report: no expenses, and no donations. Balances are savings: 5.01 and checking: 1,112.63.
4. Selika gave the State Board Report. New national initiative is Systemic Equality, will continue with Smart Justice and Rights for All. Board wants to support chapters. Database updates may explain some of our difficulties with membership lists and mailings.
5. The board discussed our February 14 meeting with Chief Matt Rokus. We will plan on inviting other regional chiefs for future discussions. The board discussed the ways in which complaints can be filed with the city about police. The board discussed the position that is currently listed for EDI coordinator and will consider sending an email similar to what Pa’s group sent. Motion by Mildred seconded by Teresa to bring concerns to Vicki Seltun/Council, unanimously adopted.
6. Discussion of collaboration with Cultivate Coalition (Lindsey) was tabled.
7. The board tabled discussion of the newsletter and membership rolls to next month. Paul will reach out to state to follow up on changes to database.
8. The board discussed high school student membership. Kelle will work with Lindsey and Pa to solicit applications.
9. Selika will send Rachel Hamele’s email address to David Shih so that David can invite Rachel to our next meeting. Rachel is the lead for the UWEC ACLU group.
10. The meeting was adjourned at 6:33.