Meeting Minutes from 7/10/16
Law Office of Hart and Herrick
Present: Dr. David Shih, David Rice, Paul Wagner, Myron Buchholz, Lindsey Brandrup (recording)
Absent: Ann Heywood, Mildred Larson, Marni Kaiser, Sara Thielen,
Call to Order at 6:31 pm.
- Minutes from 5-15-16 were approved as sent.
1.5. Treasurer’s Report—$150.00 was sent to the ACLU-WI Foundation for the Dr. Taman Memorial. Report approved by Board.
- Development of a CVCLU brochure: The desire is to focus on the local efforts of our chapter as well as providing a general overview of what the ACLU does. Paul and David R. agreed to work towards finding out what materials are offered by the state and how we might supplement them.
- Multicultural Affairs Update: No updates at this time; this item may be removed from the agenda.
- General Publicity for CVCLU—The state recommends keeping the Facebook page closed; however, events can be “opened.” Beverely Wichstrom was the original creator and should be contacted to update “administrators.” A suggestion was made for all Board members to serve as administrators and to make the group open with the understanding that the Board would check regularly for any trolling. A review of other publicity opportunities in the past includes Senior Americans Day, Pridefest, Fighting Bobfest, and Banned Books Week.
- Membership Recruitment Efforts—David R., Ann, and Mildred are still working on this endeavor.
- Next Board Candidate List: Review of Candidate Term Timelines
Need to fill 3 3-year positions and 1 1-year position:
Dr. Taman (through 2018)
Myron (2016) Sara (2016) David R (2016)
Other term timelines
Ann (2017) Marnie (2017)
Mildred (2018) Lindsey (2018) David Shih (2018) Paul (2018)
- Fall Meeting Program—Several ideas were discussed. Several topical threads were the use of technology to protest (the ACLU’s app for recording police was discussed; Wisconsin currently does not have this app). Another topic was a collaborative discussion between ECPD and representatives, spokespeople for BLM. A third suggestion was a focus on Voting Rights. The group decided to continue this discussion through email.
- Old/New Business
Lindsey is still working with the National ACLU re: maternity leave.
Paul will be absent for the next two meetings—teaching in New Zealand.
David S. will take over the secretarial duties at the next meeting.
- The next meeting will take place at 6:30 pm at the Law Office of Herrick and Hart on 9/11.
- The meeting adjourned at 7:32 pm.