Chippewa Valley Civil Liberties Union
Board Meeting Minutes for May 4, 2014, Acoustic Café, Eau Claire
Present: Ann Heywood (recording), Mildred Larson, Sara Thielen, Stephanie Turner, (presiding), Paul Wagner
Absent: Myron Buchholz, Shu Cheng , Anna Lane, Alida Markgraf, David Rice
- Stephanie called the meeting to order at 6:50, after moving from David’s office.
- There was no treasurer’s report in David’s absence.
- The minutes from the March 30 meeting were approved as emailed.
- There was no state board report.
- We briefly discussed the problem of having fundraisers, like our Marriage Equality and annual meeting events, that suggest/require higher donation levels than may be comfortable for our board and other invitees. Did the phrasing on the invitations make our event sound too exclusive? We postponed further discussion until another meeting.
- The board worked on details for our upcoming Marriage Equality celebration and fundraiser, scheduled for May 14, 5 – 7 p.m. at the Schlegelmilch-McDaniel House, 517 Farwell St. Eau Claire. The work committee (Stephanie, Mildred, and Ann) have taken care of preliminary steps: selected a caterer (Tony Draganowski from Bijou Bistro); planned menu and costs; hired the invitation designer; printed postcard invitations; labeled, stamped and sent invitations to our members; developed a list of non-CVCLU members to invite and sent invitations; secured a list of members to call for follow up; divided the list for board members to make the calls; secured the Schlegelmilch-McDaniel House for the venue (opportunity given free to Mildred for financial support of the CV Museum); discussed set up details with Dorie from CVM. Further responsibilities were discussed tonight. Paul will provide an amplifier for our speakers. David, we hope, will get wine, soda, and water beverages and get assurance of return for whatever we don’t use. Paul will donate a cooler of beer and bring ice. Mildred will buy plastic plates, cups, and utensils, and set up for trash and recycling collection. Stephanie will do a fact sheet about ACLU membership and the Foundation to help answer questions from our donors. Stephanie will call our invitees to ask for information to include in their introduction. Ann will contact Molly to ask for an email to our members for one more reminder. Dorie will open the Schlegelmilch House at 3:30 on May 14. Tony will deliver the food at 4:00. Mildred and Stephanie will be there to see to final set up details.
- Note: A motion to provide funds for the fundraiser was conducted by email. Mildred’s motion was as follows: The board of the ACLU-Chippewa Valley approves an expenditure of $350 for food, supplies, and beverages for a Marriage Equality reception on Wednesday, May 14, 2014. The motion passed on May 1.
7. The meeting was adjourned at 7:45 p.m.