Chippewa Valley Civil Liberties Union
Board Meeting Minutes for July 10, 2012
Grand Avenue Café, Grand Ave., Eau Claire
Present: Ann Heywood, Mildred Larson, David Rice, Stephanie Turner (presiding), Nicholas Passell
Absent:Myron Buchholz, Shu Cheng, Collin Hawkins, Beverly Wickstrom
- The rather informal meeting began about noon. Ann arrived about 12:10.
- Minutes of the June 24, 2012, meeting were approved. Minutes will be posted at www.cvclu.org.
- We discussed details of getting Chris Soghoian (as of September, ACLU staff member who is national expert on surveillance and civil liberties) lined up as our annual meeting speaker. Since airfare, motel, and honorarium fees would add up substantially, we discussed trying to get other partners for the event. We agreed we cannot do this plan alone financially, and other sponsors are also likely to widen the audience. Would ACLU-WI support the effort and share it, possibly inviting Soghoian to another presentation in Madison or Milwaukee? Mildred will inquire. Stephanie will talk with appropriate people at the university to see about getting a grant for support and have Soghoian speak to a computer or political science class.
Soghoian’s general topic will be technological surveillance. He suggested September 19, 20, 26, or 27. We prefer the 26th or 27th in order to have more time to prepare, but we must check other factors and conflicts. Stephanie suggested the Phillips Recital Hall on campus for our venue. Mildred also suggested that Athan Theoharis, ACLU-WI president, Marquette professor emeritus, and expert on FBI, could be our speaker if the plans for Soghoian fall through.
- Nick has recruited Paul Wagner to run for the CVCLU board of directors. Mildred will contact Caitlin Lee, Stephanie will contact Christopher Jorgenson, and Myron will contact students.
- The Chippewa Pride event will be August 4 at Mt. Simon Park. Myron has reserved a table and will submit the $15 fee. Ann will contact Stacy Harbaugh about materials for the table. Mildred and Stephanie will do tabling. Others welcome.
- Stephanie reported that the meeting about the drone ordinance between Sara Adams and Kerry Kincaid, along with Andrew Werthman and Myron has been set for July 23 at 1:00 p.m. Ann may be able to attend if Myron cannot.
- We did not set a time and place for the next meeting.
- The meeting adjourned about 1:00 p.m.
Steph: Make inquiries at the university about partnering for sponsorship of Chris Soghoian to speak in September, possibly write grant. Contact Chris Jorgenson about board position. Do tabling for Chippewa Pride.
Mildred: Contact Chris Ahmuty about ACLU-WI sponsorship support for Soghoian. Contact Caitlin Lee about board position. Do tabling for Chippewa Pride.
Myron: Represent the board at July 23 meeting with Kerry Kincaid on drone ordinance. Contact one or two students about board position.
Ann: Check with Stacy Harbaugh for materials for table at Chippewa Pride. Alternate to meet with Kerry Kincaid on drone ordinance.
Others to volunteer for Chippewa Pride tabling?