Chippewa Valley Civil Liberties Union
Board Meeting Minutes for June 24, 2012
David Rice’s office at 116 West Grand Ave., Eau Claire
Present: Myron Buchholz, Ann Heywood, Mildred Larson, David Rice, Stephanie Turner (presiding), Nicholas Passell
Absent:Zoe Bowman (resigned), Shu Cheng, Collin Hawkins, Joe Luginbill (resigned), Beverly Wickstrom
- Stephanie called the meeting to order at 6:45 p.m.
- Minutes of the April 22, 2012, meeting were approved as edited by email from Stephanie. Minutes are posted at www.cvclu.org.
- David distributed the treasurer’s report. With no changes since last meeting, our balance is $921.49 in checking and $5.01 in savings. Report accepted.
- Ann and Mildred both missed the last state board meeting. Minutes showed business was largely limited to state issues. However, Mildred has recently emailed the board a copy of an article on drones written by Chris Ahmuty. Also she noted that the state ACLU website is in the process of an extensive upgrade which should be ready by the end of the summer.
- Stephanie reported about information she has received from Sara Adams about the work on the drone ordinance in Eau Claire. Sara has an agreement from Kerry Kincaid to meet after June 26 on the drone ordinance. Sara asks that someone from our board attend the meeting. Steph sees this process as methodical and transparent. Steph will learn the date soon, and Myron expressed interest in representing the board.
- Stephanie reported on the Free Speech/Free Food event at UW-EC on May 2. She collected 13 email addresses and raffled off a poster of Faith Ringgold’s “Free Speech” flag. Myron informed the board about official flag protocol that is often ignored. We discussed ideas for improving the event and suggested that students who participate ought to be required to read The Bill of Rights.
- We discussed our tabling at Bobfest on May 19. Myron, Stacy Harbaugh, Stephanie, and Ann took turns at the table. Attendance was down because of the recall campaigning going on the same day. This is the kind of event where ACLU fits in well, and we should try it again next year. Two “Disappearing Rights” mugs were raffled off, and Myron took care of getting them to the winners. Email addresses were collected.
- Since Beverly was absent we only briefly discussed our potential Facebook page. Stacy Harbaugh has recommended a Facebook Group as more useful for us.
- We discussed plans for our annual meeting. It looks as though mid September may provide the best timing. We should check calendars for conflicts before trying to set a date. Our preferred topic is surveillance and we may use some of Joey’s contacts. Also suggested were Kerry Kincaid, Dana Smetana, a UW Law School expert on surveillance and the law, and Russ Feingold. Mildred will contact state board members about suitable speakers. Perhaps someone in the Geography Department would be suitable. Paul Wagner is a local expert on computers and surveillance. Stephanie will contact Catherine Crump, ACLU staff attorney.
- The board decided to skip activities for Banned Books Week this year.
- Mildred asked about tabling again this year at Chippewa Pride. Myron will investigate when and how to get involved.
- The board discussed nominations for the next board election. Myron had ideas for student representatives and will contact them. Nick will contact Paul Wagner, Mildred will contact Caitlin Lee, and Stephanie will contact Christopher Jorgenson.
- The next meeting was set for July 10 at noon at the Grand Avenue Caféto concentrate on the annual meeting plans.
- The meeting adjourned about 8:25 p.m.
Steph: Determine date of meeting with Kerry Kincaid and relay to Myron.
Contact Catherine Crump about speaking at annual meeting.
Contact Christopher Jorgenson about board position.
Mildred: Contact state board members about possible speakers for annual meeting.
Contact Caitlin Lee about board position.
Myron: Represent the board at meeting with Kerry Kincaid on drone ordinance.
Find out how to get involved again in tabling at Chippewa Pride.
Contact one or two students about board position.
Nick: Contact Paul Wagner about board position.