Chippewa Valley Civil Liberties Union
Executive Board Meeting Minutes
August 14, 2006
Present: Ann Heywood (President), Mildred Larson, Karen Hirsch, and Dan Freund
1. Meeting called to order at 7 p.m.
2. The minutes from the prior meeting were approved.
3. The treasurer reported that funds on hand as of July 31, 2006, total $340.74. The treasurer’s report was approved.
4. The bylaws committee presented proposed amendments to the bylaws. The bylaws committee report was approved and the proposed amendments will be presented for a vote at the annual meeting. The text of the proposed changes will be posted on our website before the meeting.
5. The president reported that some initial progress had been made on updating the CVCLU website. The executive board then discussed avenues for making more rapid progress on this project. The president will explore these avenues.
6. The president will form a nomination committee to propose candidates for those terms on the executive board that will end this year. Some possible nominees were discussed.
7. The president will draft the annual newsletter. Karen Hirsch and Mildred Larson will process the newsletter for mailing.
8. The president and Karen Hirsch will act as discussion leaders at a showing of ACLU videos at the Northwest Educators Association convention.
9. The CVCLU will introduce Banned Books local presentations: the president at the Eau Claire Library, Karen Hirsch at Borders Bookstore and Renee Alfala at the Altoona library.
10. The executive board then discussed the arrangements, publicity and agenda for this year’s annual meeting.
11. The executive board then approved a change in the annual meeting program topic from the proposed amendment to ban civil unions to the death penalty referendum.
12. The executive board then discussed providing a speaker for the Chippewa Valley School Press Association fall conference.
13. The president will set the next executive board meeting based on what she finds fits best on the board members’ calendars.
14. Meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m.
Daniel R. Freund, Acting Secretary Pro Tem Du Jour.