Board Meeting, Minutes – September 13th, 2020

MINUTES

ACLU of Wisconsin Chippewa Valley Chapter

 Meeting of the Board of Directors

September 13, 2020

Virtual meeting via Zoom technology

Board members present: Lindsey Brandrup, Selika Ducksworth-Lawton, Ann Francis, Ann Heywood, Mildred Larson, Kelle Moran, Teresa O’Halloran, David Shih, Pa Thao, Paul Wagner, and John Wiltrout.

Board members absent: Elsa Murray, Eliza Wiegel, LJ Wells

1.         The meeting was called to order at 5:03.

2.         The minutes from the August 9, 2020 meeting were adopted with the changes discussed (state board membership meeting not annual meeting, Ann retiring not resigning).

3.         John gave the Treasurer’s report.  There were no donations received in August and no spending.  The account balances are savings: $5.01, checking: $1,235.46.

4.         The board discussed our August 24 Rights for All event:

  • The publicity issues resulting from the state ACLU email not reaching the membership
    • The board decided to ask State ACLU to email the FaceBook link to the event so members who were not informed could view.
  • The Chris Ott statement that David read regarding the Jacob Blake shooting.
  • The board agreed that David Shih as president should continue to speak for us as needed.

5.       The board discussed David Gordon’s (editor of Chippewa Valley Post) inquiries after the Rights for All event.  The board decided to renew our subscription to the CV post (the motion by Ann seconded by David passed unanimously)

6.         The board discussed nominations for new board members.

  • Eric Rassmussen had been suggested by Eau Claire students, but he did not repond to Lindsey’s text, so we will drop him from our list at this time.
  • Lopa Basu has expressed interest in passing, Mildred will contact her to confirm she is interested. 
  • Teresa suggested that Kirby Harless may be a good candidate, she will contact him.
  • The bylaws allow 9 or more regular board members, so if Kirby and Lopa are both interested we they both can serve. 

7.           The board discussed the Fall General Membership meeting. 

Ideas for a program included a panel on rebuilding democracy or a shared understanding of democracy.

  • Free press/ Role of press in rebuilding (Julian Emerson/Judy Clark)
    • Voter suppression
    • Conspiracy theories (John Mann or Geoff Peterson)
    • Trust in government to enforce rights
    • What have we lost when we lost democracy
    • Trust
    • Insider/outsider
    • Scapegoating
    • Who gets to ask a question, who gets called on, who gets to walk away when they don’t want to talk
    • Lindsay will reach out to Julian Emerson
    • Selika will talk to Judy Clark

We will use FB and ask ACLU-WI to do an email.

We will use zoom and FB live like we did for the Rights for All event.

November 17th is the date for the meeting/program. The membership meeting will be at 6:00, with the program at 7. 

8.           Ad Hoc Committee / Standing Committees / Affiliations Update

Selika attended Chippewa Falls Schools ad hoc meeting, she thought the school board president was disrespectful with Ms. Baker (student who was discriminated against for being LGBTQ). The board agreed that Selika should pass the CF school issue on to Molly at ACLU-WI.

11.       Announcements/Miscellaneous items

  • Mildred was impressed with the police reforms that are in LT article thanks to Selika and David C.
  • We will invite Matt Rokus and possibly Menomonie Chief of police to an upcoming meeting.

12.        The meeting was adjourned at 6:35.