CVCLU Board Meeting. October 14, 2018, 5:00 pm
Unitarian Universalist Church, 421 South Farwell St., Eau Claire
Members present: Lindsey Brandrup, Abby Green, Ann Heywood, Mildred Larson, Teresa O’Halloran, David Shih, John Wiltrout.
Members absent: Mohammed Alasagherin, Selika Ducksworth-Lawton, Paul Wagner.
1. The meeting was called to order at 5:00 p.m.
a. David mentioned his podcast interview on Ullrich Baer’s “Think About It.”
3. Minutes from September 9 meeting were accepted as distributed without a motion.
4. Treasurer’s report was reviewed, balances are, savings: $5.01, checking: 754.16.
5. The board discussed the previously emailed report on the October 6 state board meeting.
6. The board discussed the plan for the slate of nominees for the annual meeting. Pa Thao will be our only new nominee, and the board plans to invite potential other new board members to join our meetings in early 2019.
7. Ann reported on the plan for the newsletter. The state ACLU is printing it. It will include the annual letter from Ann and the agenda for our annual meeting, as well as publicity for Sean Wilson, our speaker.
8. Ann summarized our meeting Eau Claire County with sheriff about ICE. He is not inclined to adopt the ACLU policy, they do not do bidding of ICE but will assist if requested. This is typical law enforcement courtesy when receiving such request from any other agency.
9. The board discussed the local ICE arrests and the El Centro meeting.
10. The board briefly discussed with general approval the recently passed City Council resolution banning conversion therapy for LGBTQ minors.
11. The board discussed the agenda for the annual meeting coming up in November, planned the potluck, ballots, and making available copies of the treasurer’s report for this year and the minutes from last year’s meeting.
12. The board discussed meeting times and frequency. Consensus was that we should continue with monthly meetings at 5 pm the second Sunday of the month, and plan on canceling a few of the monthly meetings, at times such as where we have less to do or where the date conflicts with a holiday.
13. Selika participated in a UWEC panel on First Amendment rights on Constitution Day (9/17/18).
14. Chippewa Valley Votes collaborations:
• Selika participated as moderator of a Chippewa Valley Votes panel for candidates regarding the State of Voting Rights.
• Lindsey’s post card writing event for get out the vote went well.
15. The meeting adjourned at 6:24.