Board Meeting, Minutes – November 19th, 2017

MINUTES

Meeting of the CVCLU Board

Unitarian Universalist Church, 421 South Farwell St., Eau Claire

November 19, 2017

 

Present: Ann Heywood (chair), Mohammed Alasagherin, Kailee Berg, Lindsey Brandrup, Selika Ducksworth-Lawton, Teresa O’Halloran, David Shih, John Wiltrout

 

Absent: Mildred Larson, Anna Leffel, Paul Wagner

 

  1. Chair Heywood called the meeting to order at 5:31 pm.

 

  1. The Board welcomed new member, Selika Ducksworth-Lawton.

 

  1. The Board discussed the minutes of the CVCLU Board meeting of October 8, 2017.

 

  • Item #3, fourth bullet. Change “Ann seconded” to “Mohammed seconded.”
  • Item #5, first bullet. Change “Annual Meeting” to “ACLU Wisconsin Annual Meeting.”
  • Item #5, 11th Change “hors d’oevres” to “hors d’oeuvres.”

 

Selika made a motion to approve, Mohammed seconded. The motion was approved with the corrections above.

 

  1. John presented the Treasurers Report.

 

  • The checking account has a balance of $979.23, and the saving account has a balance of $5.01. There was one anonymous $50 donation since the last report.

 

Teresa made a motion to approve, Selika seconded. The motion was approved without dissent.

 

  1. The Board discussed the need to appoint a new treasurer because John will no longer be a member of the Board after the election.

 

Teresa made a motion to postpone this discussion until after the state ACLU election, Selika seconded. The motion was approved without dissent.

 

John will stay on as treasurer until next meeting.

 

  1. Ann reminded the Board to vote in the state Board election. Ballot closes on November 29.

 

  1. The Board discussed the Citizen Engagement Summit.

 

  • John reported that we recruited some new members.
  • Chippewa Valley Votes is the umbrella organization for voter registration organizing in the area. It will meet on December 5 at the LE Philips Library from 5-7 pm. Lindsey will attend and bring up the problem with voter ids. Selika and Teresa will talk to UW-Eau Claire administrators about voter id for students.

 

  1. The Board discussed the Annual Meeting and agreed that it was a big success.

 

  1. The Board discussed the newsletter.

 

  • Possibility of doing it on our own next year? University printing prices were competitive (students get a special rate). A member (not Ann) might work with student on this.
  • Selika will check on printing/design for newsletter this for the Board.
  • L&M will be used for distribution again next year.

 

  1. The Board discussed CVCLU presence at local events.

 

  • Paul (via Ann) thinks we should re-evaluate our participation in Senior Americans Day.
  • Selika is the point person for a table at King Day (January 15) and Juneteenth events. We should make a card for insert with instructions on how to sign up online. Include Know Your Rights cards. We should get 150 membership cards from State ACLU before the event.
  • Midwest Feminists contact is Serena Wagner.
  • Other events include VFW, Festival in the Pines, Music in the Park, UW-Eau Claire events (BOB, Pride) with Chris Jorgenson as the contact.
  • Ann wants to set up a committee to decide.

 

  1. Charlie Hough (via Ann) provided an update on the Menomonie Middle School case. There will be no Muslim speaker at MMS this year. The Board resolved to contact State ACLU for guidance.

 

  1. The Board discussed student membership.

 

  • Do we want to appoint a student for a two year term? It’s best if the students are juniors.
  • Lindsey will look for someone at Memorial and will report back next time.
  • Teresa will ask about Chippewa Falls HS.
  • The Board will discuss student qualifications at the next meeting.

 

  1. The Board discussed archiving CVCLU papers at UW-Eau Claire. Ann will contact Greg Kocken. Ann will send out summary of past annual meetings (compiled by Anna).

 

  1. The Board discussed ideas from the archives.

 

  • A Banned books week would require making connections with school libraries.
  • Each Board member recruiting one new member.
  • Selika suggested that history students can do research from archives. Is it possible to add a new section of webpage with CVCLU history?

 

  1. The Board agreed to table discussion of engaging new activist volunteers and creating goals for the next meeting(s).

 

  1. The next meeting is January 7 at 5:30 pm at the UUC.

 

  1. Teresa made a motion to adjourn, Ann seconded. The motion was approved without dissent, and the meeting adjourned at 7:00 pm.

 

Respectfully submitted,

David Shih

Secretary

Chippewa Valley Chapter © 2016 Frontier Theme