Meeting of the CVCLU Board
Unitarian Universalist Church, 421 South Farwell St., Eau Claire
September 10, 2017
Present: Ann Heywood (chair), Anna Leffel, Teresa O’Halloran, Mildred Larson, David Shih, John Wiltrout
Absent: Mohammad Alasagheirin , Kailee Berg, Lindsey Brandrup, Myron Buchholz, Paul Wagner
- Chair Heywood called the meeting to order at 5:39 pm.
- The minutes of the CVCLU Board meeting of August 13, 2017 were approved with the following corrections:
- Item #4: Molly McGrath will be speaking at the Citizen Engagement Summit on Nov. 12
- Item #5: the alleged sexual assault happened in town and not on campus
- Item #7: Teresa wants to work with Anna on starting a student group and will find out the process
- Item #13: omit the word “motion”
- The Board discussed the Treasurer’s report.
- There was a credit of $50 (anonymous donor). The checking balance is $1160.79. Savings balance is $5.01.
- Myron Buchholz resigned from the office of Treasurer for health reasons.
- Mildred made a motion that John Wiltrout serve out Myron’s term as Treasurer. David seconded. The motion was approved without dissent.
- The Board discussed Old Business.
- Teresa: no update on alleged sexual assault of UW-EC student.
- Teresa: no update on forming an ACLU student alliance.
- The Board discussed plans for the CVCLU Annual Meeting. It will be held on Thursday, Nov. 2 at 6:00 pm at the Unitarian Universalist Church.
- 6:00 pm – Chapter annual meeting & 50th anniversary celebration with light hor d’ouevres; noms/elec, bylaws, history, questions/suggestions (ask how they would like to participate)
- 7:00 pm – State meeting
- 7:30 pm – Program on ACLU activity since November 2016
- Anna will help Ann write the history of the chapter (for the 50th anniversary celebration).
- Mildred will contact an archivist for guidance on what to keep from the ACLU papers.
- David will have ballot and questionnaire ready by meeting date.
- Ann will ask Emilio for a topic and a title for the program.
- Ann reported that Emilio et al. want something to do on Friday following the annual meeting. The Board decided that the activity will be Board training.
- Ann will write an email to board to agree on a time for Board training on that Friday.
- The newsletter with information on the Annual Meeting needs to be out no later than the middle of October.
- The Board discussed nominations for the Board.
- Teresa: Selika Ducksworth-Lawton is interested in running for the Board.
- It is unclear whether Mohammad wants to run for a full term.
- Kailee’s position on the Board will be classified as an appointment rather than as an elected position.
- The Board discussed the possibility of students holding 2-year terms.
- People on the ballot for election/reelection this year: Mohammad (?), Ann, Selika (new).
- Teresa presented edits to the chapter bylaws. Mildred proposed suggestions, which were approved.
- Teresa will make the edits and send them to Ann.
- Mildred made a motion that the revised bylaws and amendments be approved. John seconded. The motion was approved without dissent.
- Ann: no update on student intern help for the newsletter.
- The Board discussed New Business.
- There will be a committee to plan food for the Annual Meeting. Mildred volunteered. Ann will email a request for help to the Board.
- The Board decided to table a discussion of a committee for advertising until next meeting.
- John will contact Lindsey to follow up on getting a booth at the Citizen Engagement Summit on November 12.
- There is a state ACLU Bill of Rights celebration on November 8 in Milwaukee.
- Meeting adjourned at 7:02 pm. The next meeting will be October 8 at 5:30 pm at the UUC.